Health is wealth, and what’s better than making the biggest investment in it. After a certain age our body requires more care and attention. So pamper it and remember that ignorance here can be your biggest enemy. Certain dietary changes do step in here. Be wise and choose carefully what suits you. Beverages like tea can be very helpful to you while you take care of your health. Different kinds of tea have been used since ages to cure various ailments and in general keeping the body fit.
So, we present to you 10 major health benefits of tea and the ones you can incorporate in your daily lives.
10 health benefits of tea:
1) Helps with sleep: Tea can be a major sleep inducer for you. People who suffer from insomnia or have disrupted sleep cycles must consume tea like chamomile or lavender. The results won’t be very sudden as it is a process. But doing so will definitely relieve you of sleep issues and disorders. Chamomile and lavender teas are rich in flavonoids which promote sleep quality as they help to reduce neuronal excitability.
2) Controls blood pressure: Hypertension, most commonly known as high blood pressure, is a severe ailment which requires proper treatment and control. Certain kinds of tea can be helpful in giving relief to patients suffering from this ailment.. Sipping green tea and hibiscus tea has proven to be quite beneficial. Multiple tests have shown that consuming hibiscus tea three times a day can help to lower high blood pressure. However, avoid taking it with hydrochlorothiazide. Green tea helps to reduce systolic blood pressure as it contains catechins.
3) Helps in reducing chances of heart diseases: Research says that consuming green tea helps to reduce the chances of strokes or heart diseases in older adults. Green tea is rich in catechins and several antioxidants which reduces bad cholesterol, a major component responsible for heart attacks. It reduces the levels of triglycerides as well.
4) Increases hydration levels in the body: Tea has proven to be a source for fulfilling the water needs of your body. In older adults, problems like excessive urination, thirst, disrupted sleep cycles lead to dehydration. Tea like chamomile, hibiscus and rose are very hydrating. They are completely natural and do not contain high levels of caffeine.
5) Improves mental health: Tea has emerged as an effective way of reducing the levels of the stress hormone cortisol. It has also been proven to reduce the risks of dementia and Alzheimer's in older adults. A case study has shown that people who consume green tea on a daily basis have a high memorizing capacity. L-theanine and EGCG are components present in green tea and black tea which help in relaxing the mind and nerves.
6) Reduces weight: One of the most common tea benefits is that of reducing weight. In older adults, it is seen that muscle mass decreases quickly and fat mass increases rapidly. Due to this, there is a sudden increase in weight and body size. In order to reduce weight, you can try out green tea, black tea, oolong tea, white tea and herbal tea. All these can help you boost your metabolism, which leads to rapid weight loss.
7) Strengthens bones: It is seen that bone density after a certain age decreases at quite a pace. In order to restore it one must consume green tea. Green tea bioactive compounds help to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. White tea is also quite beneficial. Just like green tea, it too helps to reduce oxidative stress, which is a major contributor to weak bones, bone loss and fractures.
8) Increases immunity: Tea is rich in antioxidants and antiviral properties. It keeps the body hydrated and protects it from various infections. Ginger tea and green tea are very beneficial and consumed at high rates by most people as a shield from infections, diseases etc.
9) Helps to prevent diabetes: After hypertension, diabetes is the most common disease found in older adults. Tea contains chemical substances, called polyphenols, which help in controlling blood sugar levels. If you start consuming green tea, black tea, hibiscus tea, and chamomile tea, as well as cinnamon, turmeric, and lemon tea, you will be able to protect yourself from diabetes and those who already have it will be able to control its levels.
10) Helps in boosting mood: When you are feeling low or anxious, tea has come to your rescue. Chamomile tea helps in reducing anxiety, green tea helps to calm your nerves and peppermint tea helps to balance your emotional state. Consume these and keep your stress and anxiety at bay.
So, as you saw, tea is a very enriching beverage which stands strong against various illnesses. It must be a hassle to find all such teas in one place. But don’t worry as you can find all these amazing teas under one roof, which is known as ‘the Tea Shelf’. It offers all such teas at reasonable prices and in proper packaging and suitable quantities. So stay strong, as with tea you can never go wrong!